Checkout this total product development fail I found the other day –
Whenever I see stuff like this, I like to imagine all of the steps it took for this to go from an idea to an actual product in Duane Reade, during which no one was like, “um. Hey, guys? This is a terrible idea.”
There were at least this many steps, in some sort of order like this:
- Person had idea, decided it was good.
- Person edited presentation, decided to keep caffeinated Crack Jack idea on list of ideas.
- Person gave presentation, likely involving graphs and charts about how much people like ‘energy’ food.
- Other people decided this was a good idea, passed on to team of food engineers/ robots/ factory in china.
- Food is manufactured, taste-tested, moved on to packaging.
- Packaging (including the name “Cracker Jack’d”) was created and no one said anything about this being an AWFUL idea.
- Product presented to supermarkets/ stores everywhere. Product is purchased by these stores.
Either that, or there was a massive chocolate/coffee incident at the Cracker Jack factory and they decided to cover their losses by creating this. If that’s the case, I have tons of respect for them. Otherwise, WTF dudes?
I get that suddenly everything is supposed to magically energize us, even though it’s crap that’s giving us toe cancer, hair arthritis or, at the very least, lots of belly fat, but a line has been crossed. Coffee in my candied popcorn product? Or, whatever the hell those weird brownie things on the bag are? Java nougats?
I know that there have been some really important things happening in the news with civil rights, and coups and whatever, but THESE ARE THE REAL ISSUES, PEOPLE. It’s like that old saying –
First they wanted to add a shot of espresso to my coffee,
and I didn’t speak out, because that seemed kinda nice.
Then they came for my diet soda,
and I didn’t speak out, because ‘ginseng’ and ‘guarana’ are fun to say.
What’s next? Is any junk food sacred anymore?
What about the great American breakfast staples?
And can you imagine how much Pizza Hut is going to go to town with all of this? They LOVE stuffing things into crusts. Don’t think they’ll stop at things that raise your cholesterol…
Little Ceasars is probably going to have to change their slogan to make it seem more energized –
THERE IS NO END TO THE MADNESS AND I HAVE TO MONITOR MY CAFFEINE INTAKE OTHERWISE I SLEEP POORLY.
Also, what will energy drinks do? Start adding food to their drinks? Our hearts are going to explode, guys.
Stop the madness. Quit buying ‘energized’ food.
Peace, love and crack-infused ketchup,